Positively No Negativity Challenge
Day 43 of 84
Let’s face it, being happy is very closely related to being positive. Have you ever met a happy negative person? Or an unhappy positive person? I love listening to Anthony Robbins, a powerful motivational speaker. While doing my exercises one morning I heard him say that that there are three essentials to human happiness. Everyone needs these three things, and without them it is quite difficult to sustain happiness and positivity.
1. Something to do. That could be your job, your mission in life, taking care of parents or children, whatever it is that gets you out of bed in the morning. If you don’t have something to do, why would you even get out of bed? I know people who trade their bed for a chair every morning and then trade the chair for the bed every evening. They are some of the most negative and unhappy people I know. At times in my life I have been one of those people, and the only thing that made me happy again was finding something meaningful to do, a reason to get out of that chair.
2. Someone or something to love. We all need love, affection and touch; everyone wants to feel special and needed, whether by a life partner or a beloved pet. I have a friend who, when her husband of 40+ years died, she was so lonely in her big house that she decided to get a kitten. I’m not saying that the kitten replaced her husband, but it certainly gave her a place to put her affection. She cared for the kitty, talked to it and petted it. It made her happy and helped take her focus off her troubles.
It sure feels good to wake up beside someone I love every morning. I know that is one of my essentials to happiness and he reminds me when I am being negative.
3. Something to look forward to. Can you imagine a life where every day is the same as the next, and the future looks like more of the same? I find that when I have nothing to look forward to it makes me feel like I’m drowning in my own troubles. Boredom sets in and along with it, negativity and comfort food eating. That is a rotten combination for sure and just leads to more of the same. I try to book something, a restaurant meal, coffee with a friend, a trip or I invite friends over for supper. That helps to give my week a focus. And then there are seasonal things to look forward to: birthdays, craft shows, summer visitors and autumn decorating. Those things are all happy and positive.
Do you have these three essentials for happiness in your life? If not, what are you waiting for?
Today I am grateful:
1. For a comforting message from a friend
2. That my son is coming home today!
3. That yet another person is scheduled to come look at the car
4. My hairdresser
5. Virginia, the tech who did my bone density test and spent time discussing options with me